Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
types of moss?

Posted by compost_hugger_nancy z4/5 NES MI (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 21, 06 at 14:20

This may sound stupid to those who know their mosses but:

I have one kind of moss growing in my clay yard and two others in the black mucky peat area the other side of woods edge.

The one in the woods reminds me of the dried spagnum moss I used to buy in the stores. The soil seams to be like the moist "Michigan peat" friends downstate buy for the garden.

Anyone got a good link to see spagnum moss as it grows or other mosses of mucky black wetish areas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: types of moss?

Here are two links:
I do not know if they are still active. If not let me
know
I am at
eyuracleo@hotmail.com
Moss images:
http://bryophytes.plant.siu.edu/mossimage.html

http://popgen0146uns50.unimaas.nl/~jlindsey/commanster/Plants/Mosses/mosses.html

I grow sphagnum but I do not remember offhand if I have
any images. I can image them tomorrow and email it to you.
Cheers.

o

Compost Hugger Nancy and Terrestial Man,

I found your posts after I posted about finding sphagnum moss in Arkansas. Mine looks exactly like the compact variety in the SIU photos. The moss from the bog at the plant nursery, about 6 miles from my house, is long and has old light brown coloration 5 or 6" down from the green rosettes whereas the moss I found today along a spring in the woods across the road from my house grows tight against the sand banks of the spring and looks like thousands of green roses.

Betty

o

hi,
i do not have too much knowledge on the types of mosses but currently involoved in a project to study how weathering is caused by moss.So just wanted to know if you could help me know as to what are the moss types that are most likely to grow in and around London,UK.Also how much light and rain would they require to grow....
Thank you

o

England has a well established Bryological Society and there is a good deal of information there on the mosses of that area. Check the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: British Bryological Society

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here