Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_dukers

Can you identify this mushroom

daisy_dukers
19 years ago

Found a bunch of these mushrooms growing near Riding Mountain national park (not in it though)...any ideas?

{{gwi:597217}}

{{gwi:597219}}

{{gwi:597221}}

Comments (6)

• paalexan
    19 years ago

Looks like a Coprinus. There's one called "shaggy mane" or the like that's similar; as well as a few called "ink caps". I don't know any of the scientific names at the species level...

Patrick Alexander

• brittmccary
    19 years ago

this is an "ink cap". :) Pretty usual in Norway, where I grew up. They are considered very good to eat; when they are young as the one you have a picture of. When they get old, and the "ink" comes out, you should not pick them for consumtion.

Also; to rinse them; cut off the top cap (very visible on your picture), - it's woody, and not very good.

I've tried them in curry dishes... Delicious! :)

Oh; a funny sidenote... Me, my then husband on our way home from a gala happening. Me... long gown and high heels. Dark fall night, - then passing a large lawn in front of a big incorparated... it was FULL of "ink caps". I yelled STOP! grabbed a few platic bags tied my gown up around my waist, and went mushroming.... *g* Just happy nobody saw me! *lol*

Check your mushrom flora; there is another sort that is grayish, - but also forms ink. This kind is also edible, BUT do NOT drink wine with it, as it contains "antabus" (sp), - you know... the antidote for alcoholics.

Enjoy your mushroming!

Britt

• Tomato_Worm59
    19 years ago

Coprinus dissiminatus

• LeifG
    19 years ago

Without doubt that is Coprinus comatus, also known as Lawyer's Wig or Shaggy Mane. Good cooked, as long as it has not turned inky. But never eat without being sure, which means not believing unknown strangers!

Leif

• namfon
    16 years ago

Can anyone tell me if this mushroom uptakes toxins ? Specifically Ricin and Ricinus communis agglutinin. I want to grow this mushroom where there is a caster bean plant now but want to make sure it will be safe to eat.

• arjo_reich
    16 years ago

That's a much more specific question than the last one...and considering the toxin in question, a rather scary one.

As far as i know, Ricin and RCA is only found in the seed of the plant and it quickly breaks down to hydrolysis during germination so I wouldn't expect a large build-up to be present in the soil, otherwise the plant would end up poisoning itself in the process.

Still, all things considered I would find a new location for your beds and get rid of those plants anyways, you're playing with fire there dude.

If the shroom did uptake the ricin it would end up poisoning and destroying the mushroom in the process likely preventing any real growth or fruiting.

But yea, scary stuff you're dealing with there.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals