Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

name that moss

hi .. brand new to this forum ...

can anyone ID this moss for me ...

what is it that makes it thrive??? ..... the nutrient poor sand ....????

why does it love my garden???

better yet.. how do i use it to my advantage ....???

links to non-confusing websites appreciated ....

thanking you in advance ...

ken

{{gwi:597319}}

{{gwi:597320}}

{{gwi:597321}}

{{gwi:597322}}

Comments (6)

• triciae
    18 years ago

Looks like Cushion Moss (Leucobryum) to me. I've got some growing in my moss garden. Mine is growing under a CO Blue Spruce on hard packed sandy soil. In the summer, my Cushion Moss has a silvery sheen to it that I think is beautiful. It's very easily disturbed & the squirrels/birds sometimes lift pieces looking for insects. It's my favorite type of moss. It transplants readily but you have to keep it misted for 3-4 weeks & best moved in mid-fall or early spring making sure to press it down hard so it has complete contact with the soil.

• paalexan
    18 years ago

Not Leucobryum... hard tot ell what it is without a closer view, though. Likely candidates would be a few Bryums (including Bryum argenteum, though this looks a bit large for that), Physcomitrium, or Anomodon.

Patrick Alexander

• judithjane
    18 years ago

Try this Oregon State University website for starters. It's clear & easy to understand. Geared to the beginning moss gardener. Some good ideas for you.
    Regards....jjane

Here is a link that might be useful: Living with Mosses

• lien62
    18 years ago

Hi Ken, I'll have to jump over to the hosta forum soon, been gone quite a while.

The moss seems to be enjoying your current conditions...compacted soil, protection from long periods of sun exposure and it appears you have cleaned up all leaf debris.

Every so often I use a leaf blower to keep the moss clean. It also helps move those acorns that attract squirrels (they'll tear up a moss patch in no time). If you have long periods of drought on the summer, the moss may turn brown, but it will green up again once moisture is applied.

Keep the weeds out also and enjoy!

• valereee
    18 years ago

Hi, Ken! Where moss grows and nothing else will thrive, the way to use moss to your advantage is to encourage the moss. Weed out any grass and weeds that do get a toehold. Clean off the twigs and such every once in a while. Water the area occasionally with a weak solution of buttermilk and water -- just put a quart of buttermilk into a watering can, fill with water, and water the moss and the bare areas surrounding the moss. Water the area during dry spells. If the area receives foot traffic, put down stepping stones to encourage people to keep off the moss. It can take a while for moss to fill in, but in a few years you could have a really gorgeous moss garden.

Val

• terrestrial_man
    18 years ago

Have you tried goggling for mosses of michigan? this genera
    can be found in minnesota and wisconsin too!

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6