Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Deer Ferns have turned "Brown"

gardenbug
9 years ago

I have 2 deer ferns in containers on my shaded deck. Over the winter all the fronds have turned brown. Is this normal for deer ferns? or are they dead? I welcome your thoughts. I live in British Columbia where it's mostly mild and rainy during the winter months, although we do get the occasional freeze. I purchased them last summer. They are still in their original plastic pots that I have inserted the entire thing into a a decorative container. I keep them moist but not over-watered.

Comments (4)

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I guess there are three types of deer ferns but they're supposed to be evergreens. Still the root systems might be alive. You could try to shake some dirt off the roots and store them until spring- might work.

• ophoenix
    9 years ago

Gardenbug, you are in a perfect zone for deer ferns. I have them in my Seattlel garden and they are wonderful. I would suggest taking them out of the pots, Plunge the roots into a pail of water and repot or better yet, put them in the ground. They sound like they are really root bound and need some space. Blechnum
    spicant - Deer fern are best in shade or dappled shade and are quite drought tolerant. They get quiet large - mine are about 2 - 2 1/2 feet in diameter and about 18 inches tall, with the fertile fronds more than 2 feet.

When ferns get stressed, it is time to take them out of the pots or even the ground and inspect the roots to see what is going on. Too dry, too wet or just too crowded. Hope this solves the problem but I am sure they will be much happier in the garden.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ophoenix, thanks very much for your reply. My ferns are still in the pots in the shade but not doing anything at all. I have 2 pots. One is showing signs of green fronds appearing. The other pot just shows some brown curlys but not opening. Okay, I think your idea sounds good. That is what I'll do. Thanks very much for helping me with this. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

• ophoenix
    8 years ago

gardenbug, the brown curly things may be new fronds. Be sure to inspect the roots - wash them off with a soft stream from the hose - replant and they should be fine. I would probably blast them but it is hard for most people to do that. lol If there were critters in the soil, you will have washed them away. Don't fertilize! This is one of the most reliable ferns in my garden in Shoreline, WA and I dug mine up from my cousins woods in Monroe, WA. I could not get them in the ground for several weeks, kept them sort of damp and they survived my rough treatment just fine. My friends used to accuse me of plant abuse - but I almost never lose a plant! lol Ferns are especially tough - that is why they have existed for around 60 million years or so! If you don't think they are tough - try to get rid of horse tails or brake ferns. Impossible.

Sponsored