Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Urgent! where to buy fern spores!

Posted by walkingfern 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 11, 06 at 17:47

Hi,
When teaching a basic gardening class, I've always included a spore sowing project. If I hadn't collected enough, I'd order Onoclea sproes through Prairie Moon. Problem is that they no longer carry any spores. Class is in 2 weeks. Anyone know where I can buy some? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Urgent! where to buy fern spores!

You can get a variety of fern spores through the American Fern Society, www.amerfernsoc.org. I don't know if they have Onoclea offhand, but seems likely.

Patrick Alexander

o

Try this seedhouse. Gardens north. If I did this right (always questionable) it should take you right to the fern section.
http://gardensnorth.com/site/
It's a Canadian company, though, and Onoclea was not among their offerings. You might ask, though. They might have it, but it eluded their 2006 catalogue.

o

Hi, I've just started selling fern spore from my site. I only have 4 rare Taiwan tree fern species so far, but hope to have a sizable list of species by the end of the year.
The species I have spore from right now are:
Cyathea fenicis
Cyathea lepifera
Cyathea podophylla
Cyathea spinulosa

We have details and pictures linked from the shop listings from the link below.
Regards,
Phil
Trebrown Nurseries

Here is a link that might be useful: Trebrown nurseries - Tree Fern & other Fern Spore

o

Just saw this posting. I found spores on ebay...fairly cheap, but shipping charges were high for something so light weight.

I wanted natives, but there were many species available when I bought these last November. We are having our planting workshop this coming week, so I will soon get to see if I wasted my money or not.

o

This might not be the right season for ferns to sporulate. That might be why you can't find them. I looked at some of my ferns and none have spore capsules on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here