Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor silver dollar fern dying, help

Posted by CaptainSakonna none (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 23:57

I got a silver dollar fern from the nursery almost four months ago now, and have been keeping it as a house plant. After I brought it home, all its gorgeous foliage promptly died back. I started watering it religiously, as a friend's experience with a maidenhair fern suggested this was necessary. For a while it produced new sprouts on a regular basis, but all of these would turn brown and die before even unfurling. I began to suspect that low humidity was a problem, so I put the pot in a "pebble tray" with water in the bottom, and covered it with a transparent jar. This seemed to help; some of the new growth actually unfurled and didn't die.

One day my cat knocked the jar off, and after just a few hours of being uncovered, one of the sprouts had wilted beyond repair ... so I know I can't remove the jar. And yet, with the jar on I lost another sprout to mold. Only one sprout remains, but it is tiny and not getting any larger, and the fern has stopped producing new growth.

I live in Colorado, and the fern sits in a window. One web site I read suggested that the short days may have caused the fern to go dormant, and if that is the case then I need to refrigerate it for six weeks or it will die. Ooor maybe putting it in the fridge would be its death knell. Maybe I should take it to work and let it sit under the nice fluorescent lights there. Maybe I should pull my hair and scream. Got any better ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor silver dollar fern dying, help

Hi
I think I'm familiar with it as "Peruvian maidenhair?"
Adiantum peruvianum. If so you picked a touchy fern lol
They originate from rainforests in Peru with very stable conditions . They need high humidity, and seem quite sensitive to light either too high or low . Another is moisture
while they need a constant source are very sensitive to too much. I'd bet yours was produced in a GH?? If so it will need time to adjust to less than ideal conditions .
Best bet would be to place in indirect light and allow to dry until you see new growth. Any idea what your humidity level is?? Can you get some info from your source?? I find all the adiantum family sensitive with the
best luck with the N. american natives?? Good luck gary

o
RE: Indoor silver dollar fern dying, help

Thank you, that looks like what I have. Knowing the Latin name helped me find a little more information about it. Supposedly they do not like to be kept below 70F, which makes sense if it's a tropical species. So it was probably a bad idea to put it in the window, which is easily the coldest place in the house. I think I will take it to work ... heat, light, and humidity will all be more consistent there than at my house, and I can hide it under my desk shelf or something to keep the light it gets from being too intense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here