Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I grow mushrooms in the cold desert

Posted by dustin_nevadanorth z5 NV (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 08 at 0:05

What kind of mushrooms can I grow out side? We are in zone 5-6 high, dry, cold desert of northern Nevada about 5000 feet. I would like to use plugs in logs and place them under my apricot or mulberry tree. What kind of mushrooms will survive our winters if I start in the fall? If I plug a log in the spring will it fruit before winter? If not what kinds will over winter?
The Nevada Native Plant Society has no information about local mushrooms. Apparently puff balls are about it. The closest kin we have much of is moss and lichen.
The Cooperative Extension also has no information on local out door propagation methods. Maybe they just dont do well out doors here. Any recommendations?

Thanks Dustin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I grow mushrooms in the cold desert

Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to gorw shrooms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here