Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Preen keep ferns from spreading?

Posted by valereee 5/6 SW Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 06 at 9:23

I have a large north-facing courtyard around my front door that I'm going to turn into a hosta and fern garden. I'll want the ferns to spread, but I'd like to prevent weeds if I can. Can I preen the area, or will that keep the ferns from spreading?

Thanks for any assistance!

Val

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Preen keep ferns from spreading?

I have no idea what Preen is, but I might be able to help with the issue of "ferns spreading." There are only a couple of ferns that are likely to spread by root runners through the whole bed. Most ferns will stay put and just bulk up where you've planted them and won't spread whether you Preen or not. Some may spread by spores, which is the ferny equivalent of self-seeding. If Preen is some sort of a pre-emergent herbicide, then it will probably also kill fern spores, but it probably won't stop the root runners from sprouting. It all depends on what kinds of ferns you have - feel free to post the names here and someone can tell you how they grow, or look them up on the web or in a book...

o
RE: Will Preen keep ferns from spreading?

karin1, I have two types of ferns. One is a Christmas fern, which has spread a bit (I started out with three crowns and now have three HUGE crowns and maybe four tiny ones very nearby.) The second is an unknown that a friend dug up for me from her wooded backyard here in SW Ohio and which I believe is probably a native. It spreads like crazy. When they come up this year, I can post some photos. Maybe someone can ID them for me.

Preen is a pre-emergent, dry granules that you sprinkle wherever you don't want weed seeds to germinate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here