Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are there any ferns that stay green thru winter

Posted by nunlef WV (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 06 at 10:34

I am very new to gardening, and have found GW so helpful over the past week. I am now wondering if there are any ferns that can grow in zone 6 (although at the border of 5) through the winter. I have a wonderful spot for ferns, but the christmas ferns I bought last summer died right away. Thank You so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are there any ferns that stay green thru winter

Try again with christmas fern. You have to kill something at least three times before you can give up. Any clue as to why it died? Newly planted ferns should have a good soaking once a week until established. then they can survuve a drought. There are a couple native wood ferns - Dryopteris that are evergreen and more non-natives that would be hardy for you. You do realize that although they stay green over the winter the fronds do not stay erect.

o

I bought the ferns through the mail, and although they were green when I got them, they just turned brown after about 10 days. I did not realize the fronds would not stay up during the winter, thanks for that. Once I can get something to stay alive, that information will be very helpful. The 3 times rule is great too. I have killed nearly everything I have planted, and was about to give up.

o

Hi,

I have a few Autumn ferns (not sure of the actual species name) that I love . They stay green all winter, can take a little drier than some ferns & the new growth is a rich copper color. Check into them!

Jen

o

The Autumn fern is Dryopteris erythrosora. It's a superb plant - pinky-copper new growth, and one of the few ferns to actually stay looking good all winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here