Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sphagnum moss growing wild

Posted by gessiegirl z7AR (bgferg@aol.com) on
Sun, Feb 26, 06 at 13:37

I've seen a moss growing wild here in central Arkansas in bog areas and along creeks and springs which looks, for the life of me, exactly like sphagnum peat moss. I haven't been able to find anything in a google search to tell me if sphagnum moss might grow wild here. And if it does, I wonder if it would it have just originated from potting soils washing into the area from a nearby nursery or home or if it is indegnous to the South. I'd certainly appreciate any answers to my quesitons. Thanks so much.

Betty Ferguson

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sphagnum moss growing wild

Hi Betty!

Finding a species of Sphagnum moss in Arkansas is not hard to believe. These plants are often thought of as bog plants, but in fact they can be found in just about any place that stays continuously wet. They have been found in all types of bogs of course, but also in fens, forested swamps, marshes, on the margins of lakes, ponds, and streams, in moorlands, on mountain top swamps, on wet sands, or even growing aquatically. Im sure that somewhere there even exists an epiphytic species! Youd be surprised just how many places these mosses grow. The underlying issue is a constant water supply that is basically mineral free.

Being of very old origins, they are found literally all around the world. The largest concentrations are in the northern hemisphere bog lands, but they can be found just about anywhere. Here is a nice little overview of the Sphagnum family:

Sphagnum Family

In case you were wondering how diverse these plants are, consider the Sphagnum species found in the state of New Jersey:

New Jersey Sphagnum List

Thats a lot of diversity!

So the answer to your question is, yes, it is very likely you have found Sphagnum growing naturally in your area.

PF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here