Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staghorns in Coconut shells!

Posted by stephanie_kay 5a IL (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 13:48

Was out shopping this morning and stop by the garden dept. of my local Meijer's. To my surprise they had staghorns in hanging coconut shells. The way they were planted I would guess it is not too good for them. One did have growth coming from the bottom, through a crack. Wouldn't they retain too much water this way? They were 18.99 each. I thought about getting one but held off to think about it. The one I use to have seem to have shorter, wider leaves.
Anyway just thought I would share.

Stephanie

photo StaghorninCoconut_zps3361ceef.jpg

photo HangingStaghorns_zps53cd8197.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staghorns in Coconut shells!

Hi
There are many species of this fern but MOST commonly seen is bifurcatum, which is what this looks like to me.. have no experience with them as house plants as mine are grown in the yard and shadehouse .
Would think the shell would hold too much water but in a house maybe not?? Would also think the material wouldn't last too long. I use cork or treee fern slabs for those that are moveable others are grown on trees.Also grow elkhorn, ribbon, asplenum this way though all can be grown in a pot. I'm also experimenting with growing them on the outside of porous terracotta pots Too soon to know if this will work lol
WOW 18.99?? They are available here for under 5 bucks!! lol gary

o

Thanks Gary,
After I posted here I did find an article about one guy who uses coconut shells for his Staghorns. As they grow out of the shell he replaces it. I have seen the Staghorns for under 10 here in Illinois too, the price is because of the coconut shell.

o

Staghorns on coconuts will multiply and eventually overgrow the whole coconut. Provided what it's hanging by doesn't rot or rust and can take the weight, it will just keep growing and multiplying.

o

Thanks Tropicbreezent, I think if I had a place to over winter it I would get one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here