Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Moss ID

Posted by pcs2008 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 16:24

I would like to know what the moss is in this photo. It has red "flowers"...This is great looking moss, but have not seen a lot of it around.
Does anyone know the proper name fr this moss?
Thanks,
Pete

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o4/psc2007/Bubble and Teardrop Terrariums/DSC04537.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Moss ID

It's a lichen. I think it's called British Soldier

Lichen and Moss

o

gardendeb- Looks like it ...THANKS!!
Pete

o

The moss MAY BE a Dicranium species but not too sure with the image.
Dicranium scoparium

The lichen is Cladonia but I am not too sure if it is the one that is called British Soldiers and that is because of the main body of the plant behind the fruiting bodies in your image. Here is a great site with many species of Cladonia imaged.
Cladonia species

o

I do love the terrarium you made. I was thinking of making a few myself.

:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here