Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bracken fern

Posted by donna_stevens z6b TN (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 19, 07 at 21:30

Looking for a source to buy Bracken ferns in the U.S.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bracken fern

Are you sure that is the fern you want? In a moist habitat, it can become rather invasive and the foliage (both green & dried) is toxic (poisonous) to animals and humans.
I have collected some wild specimens for Botanical Garden displays, but haven't seen it offered for sale.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Bracken Fern

o

I understand if you eat lots of it you can have problems. But a little now and then aren't bad. Just cook the fiddleheads like aspargus. Look around the backcountry in the early summer for patches of the stuff. It's a large scale plant. Unlikely success in pots.

o

uh DO NOT eat braken under any circumstances it containes a complex mix of toxins not all of which are broken down by cooking increased incident of stomach & oesophageal cancers in Japan, New Zealand, & Brazil has been tenuously linked to consumption of bracken fiddleheads as a regular part of diet in these countries. Raw brackens are certainly toxic to people & livestock, containing ptaquiloside as a carcinogen, besides hydrogen cyanide & sesquiterpene as immediate toxins. is it really worth the risk

other fern fiddle heads can be eaten though

o

Look, I don't want to eat it, I just have some places that it should grow. A lot of plants are poisonous, as my neighbor found out when a couple of her cows at my yew shrubs and died.

o

Bracken fern grows wild in many areas. I dug some rhizomes in northern NC, near the Virginia border and planted them at my home. They have done well, so well that I wish I had not transplanted them. It develops long runners which grow beneath the surface, and then sends up new fiddleheads the following spring, three or four feet from the parent. It is hard to control the growth, but in the right place, it is a very handsome fern. The Vanderbilt Garden in Asheville has a striking bed of bracken fern, with fronds three or four feet high. I have never seen it for sale. My only suggestion is that you look for it in the wild. My source was alongside a paved roadway, at the edge of a pine forest. It is not a moist spot. In fact, it is often dry, but the bracken continues to survive and spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here