Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrestrial_man

New moss info site

terrestrial_man
14 years ago

While not new to growing mosses, Rick Smith has gotten up a site on his method of growing mosses with several images as well. To see CLICK HERE

Comments (11)

• yama
    14 years ago

Hi jerry
    Thank you for usefull informations. Your information is most usefull.
    I have been growing moss 7 years or so. Unlike other peopls who are intresting moss, I am growing moss for Moss glove or we, Japanese call it Kokedama. also studying keep moss indoor. Mechanism of food production of moss,how moss proccing nutrition ? .It is hard to find good moss book.
    We have good moss ID book in Japan. 600 spieces or so are listed in the book. Japan is 1/23th of land of US but have more ferns and moss of US and Canada combined.

I am looking for good moss ID book of US. Do you have any idea? If you are intrested how Japanese grow moss in old method,let's me to know.
    yama

• terrestrial_man
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Yama,
    There are only a few good moss books available here.
    This link will take you to one site where you can find them all. Click here for books

But if you want information on some of the genera of mosses in the US and many with black and white drawings then Click here to eFloras

You will find a list of the families of mosses that occur in the US. This list is incomplete as many have to be added later.

Yes I am aware of the Japanese growing of mosses. I think it is really great that they have been growing mosses for centuries! Here is a link to one garden in Japan, Saiho-ji Zen Garden

Yes I would like to know about the old method of growing moss in Japan. Please tell us!
    Thanks,
    Jerry

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

That's cool!

California has 600+ species of moss, too!

Josh

• terrestrial_man
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is another site that has some images of native US mosses. You need to be sure the word moss is in the Search box and common name is in the drop down box. If so then click GO to open a page with a list of clickable generic names.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA

• yama
    14 years ago

Oops I made mistake.
    We have over 700 ferns, over 2,000 moss in Japan.
    ISBN4-635-06065-9 "Shida.Koke" by Zennosuke Iwatsuki. Dr Iwatsuki graduated Univercity of Tennenesy and he worte many books about Moss and fern.
    Saiho ji temple's moss are mainly "sugi goke"pogonatum inflexum. Kyoto is humid than Tokyo average rain fall is 64 inch per year oe so. Tokyo area don't have moss garden like Kyoto has.
    We had demand of moss for long time for Japanese garden. None of Japanese moss growers use batter milk, yogult mix.
    Kyoto's hardness zone is 8 or 7A.
    A Old Japanese garden book tell how to grow moss.

Jerry, Thanks for your information.
    Josh, It is nice to hear from you.
    yama

• terrestrial_man
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just wish we had the depth of interest in readily available photo/info books on mosses and the fern allies. Found this in a browse in regards to this thread
    Click on arrows on either side of imaged book page to see next page. Very nice photos. Neat to see Psilotum nudum in its natural habitat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to see sample pages of Japanese book on mosses and fern allies

• yama
    14 years ago

Hi
    Iam going to visit to Japan for 3 moth or longer.If I can find good refference book(s) I let't you know.Perhaps I can meet with Japanese reserchers.
    I am looking for mechanisum of photo synthesis and detail of reproduction system of moss.
    Thanks you for all information provided. I may not able to post forawhile.
    yama

• terrestrial_man
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Have a great time in Japan, Yama.
    Here is a link to a wiki article on Photosynthesis. It is very detailed and covers it completely.
    Click here

And here is one that has a nice diagram on moss reproduction. You will have to scan down the page to the drawing.
    Click here

• yama
    14 years ago

Hi Jerry
    Thank you for the informations.
    I have a Japanese moss book above. In that book, about dozen of books are mentioned.Also the book has English/Latin botanical name. I am going to check out every one of them.
    I am going back to Japan, not just visiting, after almost 36 years in US, going back to motherland, it will be charenge. (Things happaehed, so that preparing to leave US permanently.) I will have new computer once I settle in Japan and get back to you.
    I can send you above Japanese book if you like to have. but you have to give me time.^^
    yama

• terrestrial_man
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Yama,
    Wow, going back after 36 years! It has really changed alot.
    Bet it will be alot of fun seeing what are all the new changes too!
    Yes I would like to get any of the Japanese books on the mosses or the club mosses as they are great even though I do not read Japanese. The pictures say it all.
    I will need to know just what and how much it will cost.
    We can figure out the details later.
    Much thanks on this.
    And whenever you get around to it is just fine with me.
    Just email me at your convenience.

• yama
    14 years ago

Hi Jerry
    I am sending a book to you as gift. A book mentioned above post"Shida,Koke" Shida means fern, Koke means moss in Japanese. I already put the book in envelope, I need your mailing address.
    I buy same book so that you can ask me contents of the book.
    This is my e mail address
    japanesegardener1@yahoo.com

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths