Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting and growing USA native Selags

Posted by terrestrial_man 9 (eyuracleo@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 22:23

I recently made up 7 webjournals on handling members of the subsection Tetragonostachys. These are the more moss-like species of selaginella that are generally found in mountainous areas. The common eastern US species is S. rupestris which has the widest distribution of any North American selaginella.

CLICK ON IMAGE AT LINK TO ENLARGE
PAGE 1
PAGE 2
PAGE 3
PAGE 4
PAGE 5
PAGE 6
PAGE 7

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting and growing USA native Selags

Last Saturday, Dr. Joan Hudson, Associated Professor of Biology at Sam Houston State University and editor of the Fiddlehead Forum, provide a presentation on the sexual reproductive cycles of Selaginellas and Lycopodiums to the Texas Gulf Coast Fern Society. We have avid growers of these genus' in our group. I especially enjoyed being able to see the megaspores and micro spores under microscopes. I found your information quite interesting. I believe I noted that sub-genus growing in the Big Thicket area of East Texas. Not being familiar with Tetragonostachys, I thought they were likely a form of sphagnum.

o
RE: Potting and growing USA native Selags

`The genus Selaginella is comprised of three basic subgroups, identified as subgenuses. These are Selaginella, Stachygynandrum, and Tetragonostachys. The subgenus Selaginella consists of one native species, S. selaginoides, the subgenus Stachygynandrum of seven native species, and the subgenus Tetragonostachys of 26 natives and 1 hybrid native. Texas has three species of the Stachygynandrum and nine species, maybe ten, of the Tetragonostachys. Most of the species occur in the western portion of Texas with one, S. apoda, found in eastern Texas.
Most Selaginellas, and Lycopodiums too, that are grown are from tropical areas and are not native North American species. Not all that much is known about the habitats of our native species. Growing either, especially the native Lycopodiums, can be quite challenging if you approach them from the point of view that they can be treated like any angiospermous plant, which, of course, they are not. Thus my interest in sharing my experiences in their cultivation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here