Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please identify this 'fern' -Help!

Posted by onlyme356 CA - 11 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 2:37

I know there are many different types of weeds and I'm only familair with the common ones. Now I realized this wasn'st a weed at all.. but I realized that before I finally made the decision to remove a bunch of them (actually my boyfriend did) that I thought may be a type of weed. I don't know much about gardening, but I didn't like the way this plant looked and it was always wrapping itself around everything mostly the roses the were beside it. It looked like it would choke the heck out of the roses. They have tiny little thorns or needles which cut me at one point. They recently grew some small little purple "berries" that would hang off of it. I smashed one in my fingers and it didn't smell sweet, but was VERRYY sticky. It's bushy and resembles some type of fern- Please excuse my ignorance about plants! Anyway can anyone please tell me something about these plants. I still have them in a bag right now and will probably replant a few if it turns out I made a huge mistake. (which I'm sure I did) Thanks!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please identify this 'fern' -Help!

Looks like Asparagus fern - not a fern at all (which explains why it can have berries - true ferns don't make berries). Asparagus densiflorus is the original name.

o

Yes, it is ornamental asparagus. Asparagus setaceus used to be called A. plumosus is the correct latin name.

A. densiflorus is a different ornamental asparagus.

o

Good day to everyone!
Please, identify the fern, which was bought in Hong Kong:

Here is a link that might be useful: foto of unknown fern?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here