Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Giant Chainfern - Spring 2009 re-pot (pics)

Howdy, folks!

I thought that some of you might be interested in my on-going project with this Giant Chainfern. Woodwardia fimbriata is my favorite native fern, and probably my favorite fern overall. The subject of our discussion:

{{gwi:599263}}

As of last year, this fern had cracked its pot, so I knew I'd have to do something with it before the unfurling of the fronds this spring (in-ground Woodwardias are already unfurling!). A few weeks ago, I picked up a small half-barrel, and yesterday I had the chance to mix up a batch of potting medium. My mix was made from pine bark mulch, large-sized perlite, screened pine/fir bark fines, pumice, and some charcoal. Because this is a gritty mix, I added the screened pine/fir bark fines for moisture retention (instead of peat-moss). I also added a small amount of Osmocote fertilizer. Then I watered and rinsed the mix in the sun, and allowed it to sit overnight.

This morning, I removed the fern from its pot and evaluated the roots.

Back when I first potted the fern, I was working under the false assumption that large rocks in the bottom of the container would increase drainage. I had also incorporated "packing peanuts" to lighten the container. Anyhow, I removed the rocks, then I sliced away the bottom of the root-ball. I trimmed up the sides of the root-ball, too, then I centered the fern in its planter and added in the new mix.

On with the pictorial Â

Here are various shots of the fern, the crown, the new mix and barrel, the re-potted fern in my wheelbarrow, and the fern back on the front deck (where it spends the year). I donÂt plan on keeping the fern in this barrel for more than two years, but I still lined the barrel with plastic to keep the roots moist and to keep the barrel from collapsing prematurely. I hope these pics are helpful and enjoyable!

Josh

{{gwi:599265}}

{{gwi:599267}}

{{gwi:599269}}

{{gwi:599271}}

{{gwi:9844}}

{{gwi:599274}}

{{gwi:599280}}

{{gwi:599282}}

{{gwi:599284}}

{{gwi:599285}}

{{gwi:599287}}

{{gwi:599290}}

Comments (24)

• sluice
    15 years ago

Very interesting, particularly the pictures of the roots. I guess those white things are the packing peanuts?

Nice tutorial, thanks for posting!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah...those are the packing peanuts. If only I could do things over - I'd have given this fern more lateral room to
    begin with, and not so deep a pot.

I was really impressed by the roots, as well. No wonder the pot had cracked.

You're quite welcome, sluice! Thanks for responding. I'll post recovery
    pics as soon as the fronds have sufficiently unfurled.

Josh

Original Author
    14 years ago

Here we are, about a month later, and all systems are go! The old fronds are yellowing and dying back, as is their custom, and the new fronds are unfurling from several parts of the crown! Now we'll see how big this fern can get.

Pic from this morning -

{{gwi:599292}}

• botanybabe
    14 years ago

It's a beautiful fern. It's helpful that you've share the culture and potting media with us. Where can a person purchase a young fern of that species?

Lainey

• autumnmoon
    14 years ago

omg! I am so jealous! I have always wanted one of those! I wish they were native here!! Please share more more more pics!!!
    Paula

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, Paula!
    I have more pics! I've taken these over the past month as the fern has unfurled.
    I'm almost ready to cut away the rest of last year's ugly and tattered fronds.
    It looks like the re-potting was a total success. The fern is happy and the
    new growth is green.

{{gwi:599294}}

{{gwi:599296}}

{{gwi:599298}}

{{gwi:599300}}

Original Author
    14 years ago

Just about ready to prune last year's fronds...

Enjoy!
    {{gwi:599303}}

{{gwi:599306}}

{{gwi:599309}}

{{gwi:599310}}

Original Author
    14 years ago

All cleaned up...
    New fronds unfurling, new growth hardening off.
    Stay tuned!

{{gwi:55377}}

Josh

Original Author
    14 years ago

Once the star jasmine has gone through its full bloom cycle, it will be pruned
    back - which will allow me to set this fern even closer to the deck rail. First pic
    is an update on my Chainfern...looks quite happy! I am contemplating pruning off
    the front two fronds that are growing horizontally. We'll see. The second two pics
    are of an in-ground Woodwardia in the back yard.

Clickable thumbs

{{gwi:599312}}
    {{gwi:599314}}
    {{gwi:599316}}

Original Author
    13 years ago

The Chainfern continues to thrive!
    I might be able to go another year in this mix, but I'll likely consider a root-trim and mix refreshment next Spring.
    For your perusal:

{{gwi:5720}}

{{gwi:46224}}

Josh

• lycopus
    13 years ago

Looks nice in the half-barrel. I wonder if the crown could be divided, though it would be understandable if you were hesitant to experiment with it.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Lyco!
    Yes, the crown could definitely be divided.
    I doubt it would trouble the fern, provided I do the split in March. I am kind of partial to the moss that has developed in the shade of the crown....

Josh

• maurice_in_scotland
    13 years ago

Hi Josh

Love the fern - we have six species of Woodwardia growing outside here - they're amazing, especially W. unigemmata with bright red new fronds!

Is that a form of Polystichum setiferum Divisilobum Group to the left of the Woodwardia in one of your later pictures? If it is, it seems to have very narrow fronds. Any id on it?

Cheers,

Maurice - total fern freak!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello, Maurice!
    Thank you for the fine compliments.

I bought that fern labeled Polystichum setiferum angulare - Alaskan Fern.
    Perhaps it was misidentified? Either way, it is wonderful and delicate.

Josh

• Laurel Zito
    13 years ago

I thought I would post they have small ones and medium sized ones in pots right now. I guess you have to call to see if they would do mail order. I saw one on ebay once, but it was really small and I did not think it would make it.

Here is a link that might be useful: nursery with many in stock

Original Author
    13 years ago

Which fern are you talking about, Tropical Thought?

Josh

• fernzilla
    13 years ago

Hey GreenMan: Your Fern looks great. I was fortunate to hit a local nursery, that had thier Ferns all 40% off . I got a Ghost Fern, Lady In Red, Golden list Wood Fern, Applecourt Painted Fern, Dixie Wood Fern, Southern Shield Fern, Japanese Painted Fern,European Lady Fern,Dixie Wood Fern. I think that about all. I already had about 6 different varieties before this trip.

Original Author
    13 years ago

I moved my Chainfern so that I could sweep the deck and get everything squared away for the Winter....

And, of course, I just had to snap an update pic! ;)

{{gwi:46226}}

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I was sweeping the front deck again, and thought I'd snap some pics of the Chainfern....

First up, a pic from May 31st, earlier this year. The second and third pics are from a few days ago.
    Although the fronds are a bit difficult to see against the background, some of the fronds topped out at
    42 inches in length. It's easily 6 feet wide now. Next Spring, re-potting is a must!

{{gwi:599320}}

{{gwi:46227}}

{{gwi:599323}}

Josh

• penfold2
    12 years ago

I always liked this planting since I first saw it a year or two ago. Good to see that it's still doing well.

So you're going on 3 years with the 5-1-1 mix? Does it still seem better than a typical peat based mix, or has it completely broken down by now?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Pen!

This time of year, the older fronds are starting to lose color as the plant prepares to discard them...
    so the overall look isn't quite as crisp and green as it could be. I just couldn't resist an update pic ;-)

Next Spring will mark the third year with this particular mix. I can tell that the bark is breaking down
    slowly, but the mix hasn't compacted (settled lower in the container) at all, which is great.

I'll take pics when I re-pot, and I'll report back. I think most of the bark will still be recognizable
    as bark.

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, one more shot of the fern....

{{gwi:599325}}

And here's a closer look at the soil...

{{gwi:599326}}

• User
    12 years ago

Hi, Greenman, it is always a pleasure to see updates on well cared for plants.

I'm asking a sort of off topic question about your series of photos, spanning the whole series.

Can you tell me what is the function of that dish with water in it? It's been there from the beginning. And I'm curious about things, because I know you've swept leaves away many times and still.....there is the dish?
    Is it for your cat? Or for wild birds?

And, back on topic, have you changed the 5-1-1 mix or refreshed it I should say?

And, I have not found the sort of short fat half barrels that you have planted it in. I like those very much.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, thanks! All questions are fair game....

First, you got it! That dish is for my cats. I keep a dish of water on the front and back deck.
    Also, that dish was the drip-tray for the original glazed pot that the Chainfern cracked.

Back on topic, I have *not* refreshed or changed the 5-1-1 mix at all.
    What you see above is the same mix from May of 2009. Even when I dig down into the mix a bit,
    the particles are still discernible (though more moist and interlocked with roots). Now, let me
    clarify about this mix: it is different than the traditional 5-1-1 recipe. First, I've used
    *uncomposted* bark (which greatly adds to the longevity of the mix). Also, I've used Perlite and red
    Lava rock (Scoria) for structure, drainage, and moisture retention. Lastly, instead of using peat
    moss to bind the other ingredients, I simply added back in some of the bark fines that I'd screened
    from the bark. At the time, I did not have Dolomitic Garden Lime for calcium/magnesium, but I
    have fertilized infrequently with Foliage Pro 9-3-6. So there you go, full disclosure.

I found the half barrel at Target for $13 at the time. I wish I'd gotten another.

Josh

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths