Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moss questions are sphagnum or green moss alive?

Posted by tmoore2 6/7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 07 at 8:30

are sphagnum or green moss alive? i'm wondering about the kind that comes in bags sold as potting material. i read somthing about sphagnum having to mix with algae before it begins to grow and that sometimes there are living buds in those bags. also my bag of Schultz green moss seems to have a lot of little brown seeds in it, will those grow?

does it matter much how long the bags have been sitting around and what temperatures they've been in?

if they can be grown how do i grow them?
can i uses my fishtank water (where algae is already growing)?

also i'm looking for monstera deliciosa cuttings/root segments, i've heard they can be rooted in damp sphagnum, what temp. do they need for best rooting and does anybody have any monstera deliciosa or resurrection fern for sase?

thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moss questions are sphagnum or green moss alive?

Sphagnum moss does not have to mix with algae. Perhaps you are thinking of lichen. Sphagnum SHEET moss can sometimes come to life after moistened. The other processed stuff cannot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here