Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fresh_tendril

Blechnum 'Silver Lady', houseplant or not?

fresh_tendril
19 years ago

Yesterday I found a nice sized Blechnum Silver Lady with a nice sized "trunk" about 8" tall. Its being sold locally for about $30 and I'm really tempted to get it.

Would it survive indoor conditions? Would it perform well as a houseplant? I have a nice bright spot for it, and I should be able to keep it moist. But how forgiving is it? How does it compare to a Cyathea cooperi? Does this Blechnum work best only as an outdoor fern?

I just don't want to buy it if I know I will kill it. Although someone else will likely buy it who knows little about ferns and may not have much luck either right?

Anyway, I need some advice. Any thoughts please?

Comments (10)

• plantfreak
    19 years ago

I've grown this plant but it was outside much of the year (I lived in Florida). The one you're thinking of buying sounds nice and the price is not unreasonable. It takes time to form a trunk like that.

Based on my experience, I would say that if you can keep humidy high (above 50%) and give it very bright light, you may be able to grow it inside. My plant always went into stasis in the winter months when temps got below 60F consistently and humidity fell. So unless you can provide it warm, humid conditions with bright light, I don't think it will perform well for you. Compared to Cyathea cooperi it is much dwarfer in stature and will never become a big plant, so indoor culture is far more likely than with the tree fern. I'd go for it! PF

• stephenpope2000uk
    19 years ago

In your state you can ONLY grow this fern indoors - it's way too tender for outdoor overwintering. Maybe in the warmest Florida gardens? Hawaii would be about right! Blechnum gibbum - its proper name - likes acid compost, so only use ericaceous products for potting up; and if you have horrible hard tapwater like me you'll eventually run into trouble unless you can store rainwater, own an RO unit, or maybe employ a jug filter. Nutrient must be very weak indeed - so drastically over-dilute any proprietary nitrate feed. Seaweed extract is gentler. These enchantingly miniature tree ferns like warm, bright and humid conditions and are particularly sensitive to still air - you really need some kind of ventilation in your plant room. Black aphids and spider mites love them to bits too!

They are a tricky houseplant, it has to said, and not suitable for just any old window-sill location - but if you already have a bright, humid and well-planned plantroom then they make a beautiful addition to any moisture loving plant collection.

Steve - Brighton, UK

PS An alternative regime would be indoors for three seasons of the year but outdoors in bright shade for the summer only, where they'll really appreciate the fresh air and higher light levels.

• Baggy
    19 years ago

I have a Blechnum gibbum in the UK (zone 8/9) that over winters in my kitchen and outdoors during the summer. On the acid loving point, most of my tree ferns seem to like cold tea.

• fresh_tendril
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for all the advice and information, its noted and appreciated.
    Maybe I'll give it a shot. Its such a breathtaking plant, that I'm having a hard time resisting to get it. I'll probably keep it in my screened porch during the warm and humid months, but with some care it might have a chance in my house. Thanks again.

• stephenpope2000uk
    19 years ago

An alternative approach might be to get a youngster - Blechnum gibbum really is one of the cheapest and most easily acquired plants known to floristry. I doubt if you'd need to pay more than $3 or $4. They are a bit of a well-kept secret - how many people realise that this tiniest of exotic tree ferns is readily available right under their nose in any garden shop or home store?

The snag, of course, is that the baby specimens are years away from the sort of trunk displayed by your tempting $30 beauty - they are not fast growing in the way that Cyathea cooperi definitely is. But in a way that's to the good - this dwarf tree fern from Fiji is probably the ONLY trunky fern that is on the margins of practicality as a true houseplant. All the same, you'd still see the early first signs of trunk formation after a season or so.

Whatever you decide, do take note of this species' lime-hating personality - so pot-up and water accordingly. Good luck!

Steve - Brighton, UK

• fougere
    17 years ago

I recently obtained a nice specimen, Blechnum gibbum, very healthy, nice green appearance and several new fronds uncurling from center. Otherwise no problems, with the exception of some roots protruding from the bottom of the pot in which it was pruchased. I later transplanted to a larger pot. Unfortunately, the fern has recently developed several brown tips and the new fronds are hardly growing at all. The mix is kept evenly moist and my room has high humidity. While eveything I read online seems to point toward over or under watering, I don't see how this can be the case. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• plantfreak
    17 years ago

Sounds like the typical response to low humidity levels. As stated before, these need high humidity to look good.

• k_ward_2006
    17 years ago

Hi!

I am going to be a college freshman this fall, and due to the dreary nature of the dorm environment, I decided to purchase a plant to add some life to my living quarters. A small Silver Lady fern caught recently caught my eye at a local nursery, and the tag reading, "Ideal for growing as a container plant indoors - requires shade or partial shade" enticed me to purchase it.

Now, I've realized that the humidity at the college I plan to attend is very low indeed, and that ferns generally require lots of moisture and high humidity. However, I've become quite attached to this little plant, and was wondering what I could possibly do to encourage it to survive in this dry climate.

Also, it needs to be repotted sometime soon, but I'm not quite familiar with how to test the acidity of potting soil or which soil would be exactly ideal for my fern. After reading that a good soil mixture would consist of 50% peat, 20% perlite and 30% bark, I purchased those ingredients to mix my own soil, but I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it or not. Also, is there a type of strongly diluted nitrogen-based food that would be best?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you! =)

• tropichris
    15 years ago

Here is a link that sells these palm/tree ferns and provides some care

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackjungle

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    The only absolute cure for "plant temptation" is buy it kill it then look for another . Even that doesn't always work.If you don't get it your left with "Gee I could of had that plant !!" Of the two I think buying and killing is the less painful?? "I always use 30 bucks is only a cheap meal, a short cab ride and since I quit smoking ,drinking I'm saving millions!!! Now the spouse saying "You paid how much for that plant!!??? Working on solutions lol gary

Sponsored