Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pollution tolerance of ferns for shady/dry spots

Posted by passiflorakae MA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 05 at 11:40

I read the thread about ferns for shady/dry spots with much interest and was wondering if anyone knows how pollution tolerant they are. I am working to revitalize an urban garden/flowerbed on a medium-busy side street where they will be exposed to effluents from car traffic. Since ferns have a reputation for being finicky I was wondering if anyone had used them successfully in an urban bed.

The spot is dappled to full shade beneath a tree where a few Hostas and such already are planted, it's moderately dry, with irrigation (one drip hose so far) installed. The soil is sandy but I have compost and some leaf mould to work in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pollution tolerance of ferns for shady/dry spots

I am so not a fern expert, but I can tell you that I had lady ferns under similar conditions at my old house (across the street from a major post office with dieseling mail semis, three lots from a bus stop, and close enough to a ball park to create long summer traffic jams). My soil was sandy and cruddy to boot (though I did my best to mulch and amend), and the silver maple made things awfully dry. The lady ferns did fine, though they're lusher at my newer, slightly more bucolic digs. The Japanese painted fern did fairly well too, though I had that in a spot farther from the street and in a spot where it was more carefully tended.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here