Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

I love moss!

mosswitch
14 years ago

My fledgling (3rd year) moss gardens in the woods are filling out wonderfully, blooming and getting ready to spread spores everywhere. I found a new source for moss transplants this spring, and have been lining all my woods paths and edges of the dry creek with them, and they all seem to be fastening themselves down quickly. New patches are cropping up everywhere from last year's spores also. Of course the birds and squirrels are trying their best to steal some of it, but I find that the more the squirrels dig in it, the more they spread it so I can't be too mad at them! So far in 2 complete seasons I have lost very few transplants, but it is all native moss except for one patch that I got from a friend's garden center greenhouse to experiment with, and even that came thru the winter just fine. As soon as I figure out how to add pictures here I'll post some!

Comments (3)

• gardendeb
    14 years ago

I can't wait to see your pictures. I just started a moss garden this winter. Everything died from hard frosts, and it was nice to maintain a little patch of green in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deborah's Garden

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love your blog! I'm afraid I haven't kept up mine very well but I'm going to try to do better this spring, now that I've figures out how to add pictures and such, it's not done by any means. I will try to add more moss pics as I go other than the headline one. Most of my moss follows my dry creek, and it's already spreading to and covering some of the rocks. Y the way, your little mystery flower looks like false garlic. I love that little flower!

Here is a link that might be useful: welcome to chaos

• gardendeb
    14 years ago

Thanks for the compliment, an thanks for the ID on my mystery flower. I did a little research, and it could well be the false garlic. Tomorrow I'll go out and give it a sniff, and see if I smell a faint vanilla scent.

To add a picture here, you need to put it somewhere on the web (like Flickr or something), copy the address, and then put in some HTML code here. As soon as I figure out a way to explain it better, I'll let you know. Look at this site and see if you can follow their directions: Forum Message Board HTML Tags n Tips

Here's my attempt:

{{gwi:599852}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Deborah's Garden