Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Tree ferns.

amccour
16 years ago

Are there any tree ferns that would work well as indoor plants, or more specifically, indoor plants that I could put outside during the summer? And if so, where would I go about getting one? They don't seem to be terribly common in garden centers in my area. I've seen places where you can buy them online, apparently, but that seems a bit dodgy to me for some reason.

Comments (4)

• spazzi
    16 years ago

Where are you? Most of the time, if you can find them, they can probably go outside in the summer. I have the name of one on the tip of my tongue, if it comes to me, I'll post it.

• amccour
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm somewhere in the middle of Ohio. Or in the northwesternish middle part, anyway.

I've heard the named blechnum gibbum tossed around a bit. I've also heard that bird's nest ferns can form trunks, although most people apparently grow them low so I doubt I could actually buy one with a decent trunk on it.

Dicksonia Antarctica (I think?) is the other one I'm familiar with. I've seen it in person and I think it's pretty neat, but I definitely have never seen that in my area.

Do ostrich ferns form trunks at all? Actually, I'm not sure it's an ostrich fern as the spore-bearing fronds look different, but the way the crown on these things I have in my yard gets, it looks like they might form a bit of a trunk.

Anyway, I live in a dorm most of the year, and while the dorm is sort of dry, it also has no air circulation at all so it's pretty easy to hike the humidity up really high without much effort.

• houstonpat
    16 years ago

Cibotium schiedei 'Mexican tree fern' grows well as a house plant. However, it's a little hard to find. Though I believe the Fern Factory currently has them. http://www.fernfactory.com

• amccour
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll keep an eye on that one. I've realized, doing some research, that some kinds of tree ferns are more available than I thought. They're just not really being clearly marketed and labelled as tree ferns

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022