Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Button fern

Posted by GardeniaRose z10 FL (lynne1109@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Mar 11, 05 at 13:57

Hi folks,
I have a small button fern (Pellaea rotundifolia) in a 4" pot that is outgrowing the pot. Can I split it in two and repot the two halves in new 4" pots without killing it? I did this with larger Boston ferns and they did fine but this guy is small. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Button fern

You certainly can divide the rhizomes of button ferns. If I were you, though, I'd probably just stick it in a larger pot, rather than repotting in pots it'll just outgrow again.

Patrick Alexander

o

Hi Patrick,
I did decide to just repot it into a larger pot. In fact I am leaving in a few minutes to buy a pot for it. I just liked the look of the plant in the small pots so I thought dividing it in two would work.
Thanks!

o

I was wondering the same thing. How would you divide it if you wanted to?

I'm sort of a fern newbie that has fallen in love.

o

Tawnyap,
I didn't divide the button fern after all. I just repotted it in a larger pot. But a couple of months ago I did divide 2 large Boston ferns. All I did was take them out of their pots making sure to keep the whole root ball intact. Then cut right through the whole thing with a sharp serrated knife. The sharper the better so you won't tear the plant apart. I cut through the roots and dirt and then pulled apart into 2 halves. Then repotted each half. They are doing great now. I just had to hand pick out a few dead fronds that were severed when I cut them apart. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here