Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions Squirrels' Foot Fern

Posted by cannijuana 8b UT (domiwan@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Mar 8, 05 at 14:40

I have a potted squirrels' foot fern that is in desperate need of distribution. The roots are so massed that the pot is about to crack! :)

How do I distribute it successfully without killing it? Can I just take one of the rhizomes, severe it and place it into the ground?

One more thing, at this point the leaves do not have spore cases. When will they appear? I'd like to try and sprout some spores.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions Squirrels' Foot Fern

my favorite thing to do with a Davallia in the condition you describe is get a 14 inch wire basket.
Pop the plant out of the pot and cut all the offending feet.
Pot the plant into the basket, and weave all of the extra feet into the wires of the wire basket. In a few months you'll have most of the feet rooted. The basket will be impressive looking and the feet can be pulled off if you need to grow another plant.

Drew

o
RE: Questions Squirrels' Foot Fern

I have had success with a rabbit's foot fern (same?) starting off new plants by running the rhizomes into a pot with soil (kept moist) or a glass with water (kept fresh). It roots willingly and has spread from my home to my office, family, and friends. Once the roots develop just snip it off with a frond or two. not too many fronds though, it will be a small root system and needs time to grow before it supports a big bushy fern.
Or you can put it in a bigger pot and keep the rhizomes out of the soil and hang them over the edge of the planter. That's how the one at home is. looks like it's trying to grow legs to walk away with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here