Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these ostrich fern?

Posted by eroctuse2 z5 SE Michigan (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 3, 05 at 14:41

I've been growing these from plants that spread into my yard from the neighbors garden and I've always thought they must be ostrich fern but I don't know it. The neighbor doesn't have a clue as to what type they are.

They average 3' and I've heard that ostrich get to 5' so they may be too small to be ostrich.

I really don't know.

Do you think that might be what these are?

Any help is appreciated.
Brock

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these ostrich fern?

yes they appear to be Ostrich ferns, tho I count myself as no hardy fern expert...
5ft is a bit of an exageration, perhaps in the 'perfect' setting, tho the standard height is more 2 1/2-3 1/2

best of luck
drew

o

I have seen them that tall in certain damp, cool, shady spots in the boreal forest of Saskatchewan - it's quite a sight. "The perfect setting", I guess.

o

I have one that is roughly 5'. Kansas in the summer time is not MY idea of ideal conditions, but apparently the fern likes it!

Paula

o

In the full sun and mucky soil they prefer, ostrich ferns will grow to 5 or even 6 feet. As ABGardeneer notes it really is amazing--I haven't seen it since leaving upstate New York several years ago (in my own garden they grow about 3' tall). Considering their natural habitat they do well in ordinary garden soil, but tend to grow much smaller.

o

• Posted by Dannie 3b ON Canada (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 18, 05 at 14:57

I have them around a pond and the ostrich ferns there grow about 3 feet high. The same ferns have spread between a wooden planter and our wooden fence and there they grow to 5 feet high. Of course, that is not where I want them to grow as there is just a couple of inches between the planter and the fence.

You can see the ferns around the pond in the picture below. The pond is located directly behind the ferns you see in the foreground. If you look at the right hand side of the picture against the fence, you will see a few fronds of the 5 foot ferns. The fense is six feet high for an idea of the perspective.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here