Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomhoffman_gw

Staghorns

tomhoffman
18 years ago

I have had a lot of staghorns in the past, but now that I have a house that I can grow them in. I find that they are very hard to come by. I use to cruise the smaller greenhouses around eastern Iowa and pick up the odd one now and then. They just don't show up any more.

Where might I look to get me some to get started collecting.

Thanks for any help.

Tom...

Comments (4)

• plantfreak
    18 years ago

Hey Tom,

I'm not sure which staghorn you want, but very probably it is the common species Platycerium bifurcatum. In the south is fairly common in garden centers and nurseries. Since you can't get one locally, I guess you'll have to mail order. This species is mass produced each year all around the world, and can be found at many nurseries. I would do a google search using the scientific name to find a nursery.

If you're interested in a few of the more unusual species, you can get them through The Fern Factory in Anaheim, CA or Charles Alford Plants in Vero Beach, FL. Jim at the Fern Factory has an online listing, but you will have to write to Charles Alford for his list which he sends out in spring.

Good Luck! PF

• tomhoffman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the very helpful response, I at one time had the list from Alford, but was not in the position to buy then, and was most likely dropped from the mailing list.

Thanks again.

Tom...

• Stevi_K
    18 years ago

Hi Tom,
    I just picked one up this morning at my local Walmart. They were only 1.97 for a 4 inch pot. I was at Walmart this past Saturday and they didn't have them so you could check with them.
    Here is a link to a photo of the one I bought, though small it isn't too bad looking for the price.

Stevi K

Here is a link that might be useful: staghorn fern

• platycerius
    11 years ago

Hi Tom,
    I realize i'm about 7 years late to the discussion, but for anyone else who is curious: I've found a wide variety of platycerium/staghorn ferns on ebay (more during the warmer months, just make sure they're coming from the US if you're in the US) and have gotten a couple great deals from tropiflora.com and of course Charles Alfred.
    Warren

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022