Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to transplant Ferns

Posted by regaldozer 6A NY (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 07 at 14:59

Hi there. I have ferns all over the hillside in the back yard. Or rather, I should say, I WILL have ferns (when the foot of snow we got friday melts!). I want to bring a few into my garden along a fence line. It will get shaded sun and would look great IMHO.
How and when can I transplant some of these.
thanks
Steve

( i originally posted this to Perennials but moved it here!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to transplant Ferns

I'm not an expert, so hopefully, someone who is will weigh in, but I've been blessed with an embarassment of riches when it comes to ostrich ferns. Do you know what kind yours are? I've transplanted as soon as I see the curled up fronds appear and the ground is workable. Just shovel up the crown and all the roots that come with it. I've heard that a transplanted fern will sometimes disappear for a season - but if it's an ostrich, it's down there lurking.

Much of my fern patch is in full sun and I've done some mixing in with lilies and phlox. The ferns started out as an underplanting for some ancient spruce, but as the spruce were either limbed up or removed, the ferns simply acclimated. I think they're wonderful and I don't begrudge them popping up in odd places - just dig them out.

o

I transplant ferns all during the year. The only difference is that if you transplant them after the fronds have emerged, some of the fronds may get damaged in the process and they don't look as good. Therefore, the best time would be when they are dormant or just emerging (in case you need to see the new fiddleheads to figure out where they are).

o

I second Esh's post. It should be pointed out that Ostrich ferns, mentioned by Duluth, above, are one of only a few ferns that spread so aggressively, but if they are Ostrich ferns, then yes, they will spread!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here