Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alligator fern,microsorum musifolium-not hardy

Posted by stanofh 10a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 15:00

Mine was tried outdoors in the S.F Bay Area,And it died despite not haveing frost touch it. Maybe no surprise, but since it showed up for sale world over last summer I thought some might be wondering how much cold this exotic looking fern will take. Basically,the length of our winter is too much despite a winter low of "only" 36F.
And IF it is alive somewhere down deep in the rootball,that does not change my opinion that it is strictly indoor or greenhouse.It would never grow enough this summer to make up for the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alligator fern,microsorum musifolium-not hardy

definetly not a hardy fern in southern australia and I don't get frosts. It just collapses as soon as we have a bit of cold weahter. I would say quite tropical.

Regards
Deeinoz

o

Took a look at it today..now, i see green buds on the rhizomes. Maybe,it defoliates naturally as a responce to cold/drought?..well,still too soon to see if it crawls or roars back.

o

Hi
Have had just the opposite experience with it. Went right through winter with no problem. 34 was the low and only for a few hours though.
It is vigorously growing now that warm night temps are here.
I think most if not all the Microrums are tropical but in my experience they seem rather cold tolerant. Was really surpised at M. thailadicum. Took the low without even a slowdown . Seems to be a big difference between 10 florida and 10 california.
Hope it regrows for you. Really interesting looking fern. gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here