Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staghorn ID please

Posted by stevi_k 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 7, 06 at 15:01

I just bought a Staghorn this morning and I thought it was stemaria but after viewing some photos I am not so sure. Can anyone here help with an ID?

Here is a link to my photos of the staghorn, you can double click the picture to enlarge

Thanks Stevi K

Here is a link that might be useful: Staghorn Fern

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staghorn ID please

Wish I could help id it but I don't know staghorn ferns.
If they didn't get so big I might try one in my greenhouse.
BUT this evening while looking for info on Lycopodium=Huerzia squarrosa I found this great site.
This man has these fantastic staghorns in florida.
click here to Rareferns.com
Cheers.

o

Thanks , I found his site too and sent him an email. Not for sure if he will email me back though. I am sure he is a very busy person. There was another site that I email the owner too. Then I started thinking I might have a better chance posting here.

Stevi K

o

Stevi_K
Did you leave your mailing address at Rareferns?
It may be the only way Mr. Alford communicates?
I left an email with him but ????????????????????
I am interested in the great looking Lycopodiums!

Why don't you wait until your staghorn grows larger and
then id it through images at one of the many sites that
offer staghorns. It may be too difficult eyeballing what
species it is because it is so young. However, did it
cost alot and if you got it at a local nursery it may be
P. bifurcatum (I think I got it spelled right?).
Give it time you will know.
Cheers.

o

Unless you ordered this plant specifically as a different species it will almost surely be a P. bifurcatum. Possibly a P.b. 'netherlands'. In general, staghorns must be fully mature to clearly identify specific cultivars and then it can be simply a "best guess". The species with the most cultivars is P. hillii. I have P.h. 'diversifolium' that looks similar to your photos, but as it gets larger the tips increase in number. Also, growing the plant in high light or low light will change it's appearance. I would suggest mounting it on a board and growing it outdoors in the summer in bright shade.
Best of luck.

o

I did hear back from Rareferns and was told that this fern was p.stemaria

Thanks everyone for your input.
Stevi K

o

That's a bifurcatum. There are too many divisions on the fronds and the vein structure is different than stemaria.

lee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here