Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
South African Mosses

Posted by terrestrial_man 9 (jwcsplit@netscape.net) on
Sun, Mar 4, 07 at 15:59

Here are images of mosses, liverworts, lycopodiums ? and selaginellas ? that I received from a friend currently working in South Africa.
I really have no clue as to the identification of these plants. I have been able to find names of Lycopodium and Selaginella species but there are no links of images to the names. I do hope I have guessed right but hopefully as I endeavor to find those experts who do know these plants for the correct nomenclature whatever corrections are necessary will be made at such time.
Enjoy these first time views of South African mosses.
South African Mosses by Bihrmann
This is a 5 page web journal.

If you encounter any difficulty in viewing the pages let me know. click here to email me

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: South African Mosses

Terrestrial man,

Those images are awesome. Some of them resemble mosses that grow in North America, but some do not. In a few of the images I cannot tell if I am looking at a moss, a hornwort, or a lichen! Thank you for sharing with us.

-Treehaus

o

Treehaus,
Thanks so much for the comments.

However, I have to plea ignorance even though I wish I had the comprehensive education needed to really be able to provide an accurate identification. But I am finding out as I go. Talk about groping about in the dark!!

For example, I just learned that one of the images under Selaginella is actually a leafy liverwort!!! Leafy liverwort??? I only thought of Marchantia as the liverwort!!! But I am not alone as I ran across another site that was identifying a plant as a moss but showed these weird structures that mosses simply do not have. It turns out that it too is a leafy liverwort!!!

Anyhow, this original webjournal is going to be torn down in time. I have set up a new website that is easier to get into and does not have the traffic that freeservers appears to have which is illustrated by its page loads that are frequently distorted to the point of illegibility.

The new site is under construction but the link to it is below. Stay tuned and enjoy as I stumble my way through the taxonomy!!

Here is a link that might be useful: A Selected Flora of South Africa

o

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

The new site web host has failed.

Have no idea if it will recover from whatever its affliction is but for the time being the new website is not available.

Needless to say this makes me rather depressed. I will definitely be looking for a more stable location.

Stay tuned. It is only a matter of time.

o

Have you considered using free blogging software to build your website? Blogs are more journal-like in style, but they can be a very easy to use, effective, and dependable tool. No pop-up advertising. With some blogs, you can actually make money by hosting advertising, but the adverts on blogs are generally not as invasive and distracting - usually just small and marginal.

I recommend Wordpress, which I have used and liked quite a bit.

Good luck, T-man!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wordpress

o

THE SITE IS OPERATIONAL AGAIN!!

I KNOW HTML. THANKS TREEHAUS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here