Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
D. Antarctica

Posted by rainydaywoman_z8 Oregon (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 4, 10 at 16:46

I live in zone 8 in Oregon, where the soil is wet all winter and we often have frost and a little freezing weather, with dry summers. I lost a large D. Antarctica because I didn't know I was supposed to keep the trunk misted during the summer. I have a tropicalesque garden and want to try another treefern. Does anyone have suggestions for me, such as wrapping it in winter or anything else I should do? I have palms and bananas and would love to see a big treefern growing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: D. Antarctica

I should have done a search before asking my treefern question, as there is lots of info from previous posts. But if anyone has info specific to the PNW, I would appreciate it.

o
RE: D. Antarctica

Hi, I don't know anything about treeferns, but we built little mini-greenhouses for our birds-of-paradise out of plastic and PVC pipes. Then we set up red Christmas lights inside for the freezing nights. We used red lights so the plants wouldn't think it was daylight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deborah's Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here