Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kfischer103

Help with shitake mushroom plugs

kfischer103
13 years ago

I purchased a bag of shitake mushroom plugs last fall and did not get them into a log due to parents major health issues cropping up the week after I got them....ugh! The store was extremely helpful about how to do this and we got the correct wax to use with them also. They told us to refridgerate them until we were ready to use them just making sure that they did not dry out in the ziplock bag they were packaged in...I have watched them sit in my fridge all winter, not let them dry out and prayed they were going to make it. The store has sent us out a letter stating that they were closing due to the owners going back to college and not having time so I cannot contact them for more info now.

Anyone have any input or opinions on if they made it through the winter in my fridge? Is this a good time to put them into the log (days are 40 to 70 degrees and nights are still possible frost here in central Indiana)? Any other information or tricks/tips from anyone with experience I would LOVE to hear from you. I am waiting with baited breath for the precious morels to start showing themselves....the last few years they have been few and far between. Having great mushrooms in my yard is a dream, hopefully not lying dead in a ziplock bag in my fridge. LOL

Thanks for any suggestions and happy gardening and mushroom hunting this spring!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus