Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoorayfororganic

Sources of info for growing moss indoors?

hoorayfororganic
17 years ago

All I see on the net is "blend it with buttermilk and, presto!" type things. It's really hard to find info on growing moss indoors. If anyone knows of any sources on the net it'd help. Thanks. Seems like there's very little overall for growing moss, unless it's outdoors, and even then info is scarce

Comments (6)

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

You are so right! Hope your moss is doing good??
    It takes time to grow.
    I am planning on posting an experiment on growing mosses in
    a terrarium but have not gotten set up yet. Incomes taxes and such have put the bite on my current expenditures but will get there.
    Your best bet to find any info on growing mosses indoors are at the different vivarium or terrarium forums. Some good info on some.

Just keep in mind mosses do not grow that fast so patience is definitely needed. If your current experiment has not panned out as expected then try again!!! after the outside weather is more favorable. I recommend getting a handle on growing in containers outside and then moving some of those inside. I use ZipLoc Snap n Seal XS Bowls that come in packs of 6 and punch holes around the bottom side-not in the bottom with an ice pick or whatever. For your mosses try a layer of cypress mulch or something similar and then the moss on top of that. Use distilled or r/o water and not tap water. Keep COOL!
    aND DO NOT GIVE UP.
    You can email me anytime with questions-I am no expert but I think that I am just about the only person that seems to be growing mosses in pots????? I have posted this very subject as a thread on another forum. Will check that to see if I got any answers that pertains to your question but do not recall any.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

• hoorayfororganic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Right now I just made a 20 gallon aquarium setup. I went and got some nice mosses from down near a shady swampy area.

I keep reminding myself to keep humidity high but then I realize, this is in the woods, in Massachusetts, during the summer. Humidity is not going to be ridiculously high. So I'm really not worrying about humidity but as long as it's near 60% it should be ok. My last setup I think I overwatered. I'll show pics of this round and I won't overwater.

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

Definitely keep us updated!!!
    Drainage is very important for those mosses that do not grow in wet soil.
    What kind of mosses did you find??

• hoorayfororganic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is what I found. It's amazing how much diversity there is within a little swamp area.

{{gwi:600595}}

{{gwi:600596}}

{{gwi:600597}}

{{gwi:600598}}

{{gwi:600599}}

I've never seen this moss until now:
    {{gwi:600600}}

{{gwi:600601}}

{{gwi:600602}}

{{gwi:600603}}

• treehaus
    17 years ago

Looks great. What an interesting project - let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

• hoorayfororganic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah this is to keep me sane during the winter,but hopefully I'll try some moss growing outside. looks so much better outside than in a tank!

Sponsored