Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_moss

Moss in Graveyards

bonsai_moss
18 years ago

Recently, some of the most amazing tight compact 'cap' type moss I have ever seen has been in grave yards. No, no, I NEVER harvest any moss next to any tombstones.....I have the utmost respect for the deceased and can't but wonder what life they had lived, admiring the beauty of some of the centuries old tombstones,etc.....and like I said - always with respect.......

......but getting back to moss..... I usually find the tight small miniature round cap-tight bright green moss on the edge of the driveways paths/walking paths (like sidewalk moss). To my surprise I find this type of moss growing in both sandy/clay areas (far from any tree roots)...... and I also find the same type in rich black soil around the roots of trees, and in mostly sunny areas. I'll have to post some pics in the galery this weekend of the moss I'm trying to describe.

I have to admit that on some of the gravestones dating back to the 1700's have some of the most incredible and amazing types of lichens I've ever seen. Now that would be the most disrepectful thing to do is to scrape off lichens or moss off of some souls tombstone. Now THAT would really bother me if I saw someone doing that...

Any way - my question:

1) Has anyone else harvested little sections of moss from graveyards (whether it be for your bonsai trees, or small garden). I feel guilty doing it, even though I am far from any headstone (10 feet away at the nearest).

Comments (3)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner