Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_violette

Staghorn has outgrown board - help!

lou_violette
11 years ago

18 months ago I bought a staghorn bifurcatum mounted on a 7.5-inch board. The shield frond has almost completely covered the board and has made a large bulge at the bottom. I have added as much sphagnum as possible around the edges but it is almost impossible to keep the plant watered. I drip rainwater over the exposed moss as I water the rest of my plants in the morning and again in the afternoon, by which time it is bone dry. It never carries more than four fertile fronds and does not pup. It is almost time to take it out of the greenhouse and I canâÂÂt imagine how it will survive the hot, windy, dry summer. Several years ago I had huge pupping plants in wire baskets but then we started having 100 degree dry summers and I couldnâÂÂt keep them alive. I probably overwatered them to compensate for the dry heat.
What can I do for this plant to provide more water-holding medium for it to root in? Should I scrape it off the board and put it in a wire basket or orchid basket? Or try drilling holes in the board and placing it on a bed of sphagnum in a wire basket? I saw an enormous ball of bifurcatum at a local nursery but it had been left there and the nurseryman had no idea how it had been grown or how to care for it.
Thank you for your advice.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County