Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ferns/non-ferns soil recommendations?

Posted by JAMc_CA z9 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 05 at 20:44

I've got a small shaded area (North side of house, lots of indirect light but only a little bit of direct light) and picked out some plants to go in there. I've never tried growing ferns before, but love the way they look so I bought a few. Of course, I did it w/o any advice - hope I haven't screwed up. Here's what I got:

1 Asparagus densifluorus - Meyers
1 Microlepia strigosa
1 Polystichum tsus-simense

and some non-ferns to go with them:

1 Palemonium caeruleum Brise d Anjou
1 Aegopodium podagraria Varegatum
1 Astilbe Red
Baby Tears - gold colored (thought it would look nice under and around the ferns.

Any comments on this combination of plants or whatever would be appreciated.

Also, how should I build up the soil. The topsoil looks okay, some organic matter. Haven't checked the pH, but elsewhere in the yard it's a little on the high side (7.6). What I have to work with is:

1)compost (Kellog's N'Rich Compost - looks like mostly small redwood chips, I guess)
2)sand
3)mushroom compost (high pH of 8.1)
4)peat moss
5)composted steer manure

What combination of soil and ammendments would be best here?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ferns/non-ferns soil recommendations?

Two brief comments:

The Asparagus isn't a fern. They have "fern" in the common name, but this is just one of the many times where common names are downright misleading.

The only thing that jumps out at me as being a bad idea here is Aegopodium podagraria. Maybe it's better behaved in California, but in Indiana this is a noxious weed in gardens, choking out just about anything else and incredibly difficult to eradicate once it's gotten established.

Patrick Alexander

o
RE: Ferns/non-ferns soil recommendations?

Thanks for the info on my misuse of the word "fern" in reference to asparagus fern. I didn't realize that.

As far as the Aegopodium podagraria, yeah, I came across the fact that it's invasive when I read up on it after my post. However, I did read that he variegated variety is not as invasive as the non-variegated. I'll have to read up some more and consider what to do with this one.
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here