Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bassun

Chopped Moss vs Slurry Moss

bassun
14 years ago

Hello all -- I'm a novice to the whole moss game, and recently decided to fill in a rock ring beneath a massive Maple with moss. Long story short, I quickly discovered that transplanting that much moss is going to be a much more massive of an endeavor than I expected.

So, looking at options I think my best solution is to gather more ground loving moss locally and mass plant it via either the chopped or slurry method. As I understand it both are "viable" but success seems to mirror luck as much as proper application / preparation. So, the question is, which have you had the best success with? Please feel free to include solution specifics, IE chopped moss, but mixed in with a buttermilk-water-sugar solution vs just making it a slurry, etc.

I know each location is unique so if it helps, I am in the mountains of VA, natural PH is just below 7, but quick ammended w/ Miracle Grow (old Miracid mix). There is currently a short common ground moss for the area (I identified it a while back, but have forgotten the name now.) growing in a few places but has been battling weeds and grass, so the PH may be lower than my meter picked up. Either way, obviously it is sound for at least some mosses. I figured making it a little extra happy during the "migration" would be beneficial. Now, the area is completely cleared out (minus the patches of moss :D). Only the western and north western sides are getting direct sunlight currently, but will be mostly shaded as the rest of the leaves grow in. The same section is most impacted by the prevailing winds.

My current plan is four fold.

A) I plan to gather more ground mosses, and attempt "slurry's" matching as best I can the drier more sun loving varieties in the more lighted areas.

B) Secondly, those ground mosses in which seem more suited to darker / damper environments, I will slurry and place on the leeward side, which has heavier shadows and is more protected from the direct wind.

C) This may be a massive mistake, but I want to try a "hybrid" of multiple mosses into one slurry. Just literally chop a few varieties together and spread around the wealth. I have not seen anything mentioning this, but it may create a very unique mix of mosses. Or the heartiest of the bunch may be the only survivor, or it may all fail, who knows?

D) I am still planning on doing some clump transplanting around the base of the tree to finish my fill in for symmatry, but the bulk will be slurried (or potentially a chop n mix depending on what you guys have seen.)

Wow -- that was long -- (Again, the question was actually slurry, or chopped lol) Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to hearing opinions. Maybe before I make a mistake, lol. Have a good one!

Bassun

Comments (3)

• erikaklein
    14 years ago

I am working on the same project as you. I have transplanted moss, from neighbors who let me dig theirs up. And I have made a slurry with various mediums. What I have NOT seen discussed or answered anywhere, is how LONG before moss will grow, and proper maintenance of slurry once it is put down. The moss transplants I have been watering. Does anyone have any TIMEFRAME for how long moss from slurry will take to grow? Thanks

• bassun
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Eklein -- First off GOOD LUCK! Secondly, It seems I read somewhere that we will likely see the moss grow (assuming it does) in three week cycles. The first change being at week three. There should be some up-shoots starting as the moss changes modes and begins growing and replicating again I cannot remember the name of the life stage for the life of me... It may look like tiny hairs on some species to small stems on others as best I remember. Then in another three weeks (total six), you should notice the moss beginning to "look" like moss as the structure is being redeveloped. After the final three weeks (total nine) you should have a recognizable moss established. (This is assuming all things go well). Also, you may find that not all of the moss will go into the same stages, and some may even begin growing immediately, so by week three you could have some patches of recognizable moss.
    So, I am looking at 9 weeks as my timetable to determine if I have a chance at success. I will try to track down where I found that at, and post the URL, as well as correct/ammend any incorrect info. Again, that is based off memory, but I feel fairly confident about the three week cycles. And interestingly enough, I read on here that feeding should occur in three week cycles as well if you choose to feed. (I've read between 1/10th strength to 1/4 strength Miracid is all you need to use.) I believe the latter number came from Terrestral_Man (I apologize for botching the spelling) here at Gardenweb.

• bassun
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, so I gave credit to Terrestrial Man, when I believe it should have been Deep Woods whom I was quoting. My apologies if I gave credit to the wrong person. :-(

He has put together a fantastic set of FAQ's here for many facets of moss growing. Part of what I was referencing is also in "Moss FAQS: Propagation" by Deep Woods. However, he does not outline the three week cycles I was recalling in that piece. I'll keep looking. Perhaps he will peruse across this convo and weigh in with his well versed knowledge. I'm guessing the time line is dependent on a wide variety of variables, and likely isn't very accurate the more I think about it...

Bassun

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss FAQS: Propagation by Deep Woods.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company