Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ferns?

Posted by forestexplorer 7b sc (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 0:56

For a good while i have observed the exotic beauty of tree ferns from afar, but now i would like to try my hand at growing them. There are two types of tree fern that seem to be the best suited; Dicksonia squarossa or Dicksonia antartica. I would like a fast growing plant, but i am also looking for something thats somewhat hardy and evergreen if possible. Which should i choose?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
How serious are you about tree ferns in Zone 7?

Zone 7 precludes all-year outdoor cultivation - you're going to need frost-free winter conditions for tree ferns, so factor that into your plans and ask yourself if it's realistic to go any further. Dicksonia squarrosa is the more tender of the two species you've plucked out of the air, although it is much faster growing. Its fronds are considerably more compact than D.antarctica, so that might be a consideration if you are contemplating a glasshouse or conservatory where space is inevitably at a premium.

Hardy, fast-growing evergreen tree ferns don't really exist - the quicker species tend to be more sub-tropical, whereas the tougher varieties (it's all relative though) are much slower growing. Winter defoliation is inevitable below Zone 9 or 10. Only under glass is it possible to get what you seem to be asking for, and that still brings with it a host of difficulties relating to summer shading, humidity and ease of watering.

Planting in massive tubs (both for moisture retention and stability) would be the only practical way of approaching outdoor cultivation in a Zone 7 climate, but you'll still need to work out some way of overwintering these barely portable ferns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here