Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does trimming ferns kill them?

Posted by dugls 17 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 08 at 2:50

In my front yard I have a patch of ferns that look like Boston Ferns but they are much more hardy. They got too tall and rangy so today I trimmed them down from 2.5 feet to about 6". Most of what is left is dry dead twigs with the occasional green twig sticking up. Do you think they will recover or have I killed them? If they won't recover I will dig them out and plant lower growing plants.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Dugls

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does trimming ferns kill them?

They will regrow. Many Ferns are tenacious survivors.
What you may have is the Western Sword Fern, which resembles the Kimberly Fern, a common house plant.
Good luck
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Sword Fern

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here