Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moss & Potato Bugs

Posted by mjjgm 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 2:51

I found some beautiful moss growing in a parking lot a few weeks ago so I transplanted it to my back yard. It looked lovely for the first week or so, but now it's not looking so hot.

I noticed that the moss isn't 'sticking' to the dirt very well even though I water it and so I picked a few pieces up and found a ton of potato bugs underneath it!

Could this be why the moss isn't looking so healthy green anymore? Can potato bugs prevent the moss from getting the moisture it needs from the wet soil below it?

Most advice I find online says to water less since these bugs like water, but I'm afraid letting the moss dry out would kill it entirely since it hasn't settled in well yet.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moss & Potato Bugs

Pillbugs! They are also known as pill bugs. Or roly polies.

Not sure if they are the reason the moss isn't 'sticking' into the dirt.

o
RE: Moss & Potato Bugs

I used to think they were eating all my moss too, but I'm not so sure now. I think they like to dine on dead vegetation, and it could be that the moss was dying anyhow. I think it's more likely the soil isn't acidic enough for the moss and it's just not happy.

The area I planted my moss in is shady, usually moist (and boggy when it rains), has poor drainage, and most everything else died or did poorly. I packed down the soil really hard, and added a little soil acidifier for good measure.

Below is a picture taken a few months after I planted it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Deborah's Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here