Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirleyd_gw

Japanese Painted Fern - slow to emerge??

ShirleyD
18 years ago

I'm hoping that my Japanese Painted Ferns are going to return this year. I planted 5 of them last spring and they did well. So far this year there is no sign of them! My Christmas ferns started emerging 2 weeks ago and they're planted in the same bed.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Comments (14)

• jamlover
    18 years ago

Mine have a lot of mulch and aren't showing yet. But the last of my daffodils just dug through all the mulch this week. I plan to move mine this year so am watching for them. The tree they are under is not a good spot. Not enough shade I think.

• waplummer
    18 years ago

Patience, patience, patience.

• emily10
    18 years ago

Mine just poked through yesterday. I thought it had died over the winter and last week I planted a Korean rock fern almost on top of it!!

• arcy_gw
    18 years ago

My ostrich ferns are jsut begining to pop. I also saw a lady fern or two yesterday. The maiden hair, autumn, christmas and Japanese are all yet to come. They will, Not to worry!

• glad2garden
    18 years ago

I was worried about mine too, but I think I see something poking up that might be it. They're not a bright green, so it's kind of hard to notice.

• bambooo
    18 years ago

Zone 6 in a protected shady spot against the foundation, they are up but still pretty much dark red/purple from the cold.

• springa7
    18 years ago

A couple of our ferns are just beginning to grow, and one hasn't showed up at all yet. Last year, the late one didn't appear above the ground until late May, so apparently it's just a naturally late type to sprout.

• drmedica
    18 years ago

I'm in a lot warmer zone than most of you and even mine were slow coming up. I think thats the way they are. I was concerned about a Royal Fern which is still not showing but the fern guy I talked to said they need warmth to show up. So yes, wait. They are hardy in the MWest so you should see them eventually.

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

I'm in 6a an hour North of Lake Erie and my Japanese Painted Ferns didn't pop up until the end of May. They are growing like mad now but they were the last of my ferns to come up. I will expect the same next year and not worry about them. My Christmas, Man, Hart's Tongue and Holly fern all stayed green through the winter under 3 and 4 feet of snow. I believe all are considered "hardy" as far as ferns go and tend to stay green throughout the winter even in my northern (for North America) climate.

Barb

• carolinagirl13
    15 years ago

i know im late but, you deserve a 2008 opinion:]....Japanese painted fern's bloom time: Grown around for foliage Hardiness: Zones 5 to 8 Mature plant size: 1 to 2 ft. high, 1 ft. wide Care tip: put it in the shade, the color needs a little sun though!!!

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

I'm running into this right now--not sure if my Japanese Painted Fern died over the winter (or to a hungry animal) or if it's just shy. I'll hold off until mid-May before buying a replacement. Glad you all shared your experiences!!

• Being Breeze
    2 years ago

@Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b also just found this old thread - I'm zone 6b and none of the 6+ painted ferns planted last year have emerged yet. Maybe there's still hope...?

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

hope is all I got right now! it's an excuse to buy more ferns though I suppose.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA