Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Painted Fern - slow to emerge??

Posted by ShirleyD z4b WI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 05 at 7:11

I'm hoping that my Japanese Painted Ferns are going to return this year. I planted 5 of them last spring and they did well. So far this year there is no sign of them! My Christmas ferns started emerging 2 weeks ago and they're planted in the same bed.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Painted Fern - slow to emerge??

Mine have a lot of mulch and aren't showing yet. But the last of my daffodils just dug through all the mulch this week. I plan to move mine this year so am watching for them. The tree they are under is not a good spot. Not enough shade I think.

o

Patience, patience, patience.

o

Mine just poked through yesterday. I thought it had died over the winter and last week I planted a Korean rock fern almost on top of it!!

o

My ostrich ferns are jsut begining to pop. I also saw a lady fern or two yesterday. The maiden hair, autumn, christmas and Japanese are all yet to come. They will, Not to worry!

o

I was worried about mine too, but I think I see something poking up that might be it. They're not a bright green, so it's kind of hard to notice.

o

Zone 6 in a protected shady spot against the foundation, they are up but still pretty much dark red/purple from the cold.

o

Here's a question for you all on the JPF....what about 'newly' planted ferns as of just a week ago, and then BAM! FROST BITTEN! Are they going to die totally, or will they put out new shoots??
Thanks in advance.

o

A couple of our ferns are just beginning to grow, and one hasn't showed up at all yet. Last year, the late one didn't appear above the ground until late May, so apparently it's just a naturally late type to sprout.

o

I'm in a lot warmer zone than most of you and even mine were slow coming up. I think thats the way they are. I was concerned about a Royal Fern which is still not showing but the fern guy I talked to said they need warmth to show up. So yes, wait. They are hardy in the MWest so you should see them eventually.

o

I'm in 6a an hour North of Lake Erie and my Japanese Painted Ferns didn't pop up until the end of May. They are growing like mad now but they were the last of my ferns to come up. I will expect the same next year and not worry about them. My Christmas, Man, Hart's Tongue and Holly fern all stayed green through the winter under 3 and 4 feet of snow. I believe all are considered "hardy" as far as ferns go and tend to stay green throughout the winter even in my northern (for North America) climate.

Barb

o

i know im late but, you deserve a 2008 opinion:]....Japanese painted fern's bloom time: Grown around for foliage Hardiness: Zones 5 to 8 Mature plant size: 1 to 2 ft. high, 1 ft. wide Care tip: put it in the shade, the color needs a little sun though!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here