Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moss and compatable plantings

Posted by feptp 7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 05 at 11:56

Moss is taking over the side of my yard on a shady slope. I had planted perrywinkle there to help stabilize the soil, but I guess the moss will choke it out. I am considering leaving the moss and was wondering what plants would survive in the same area. I have some local ferns that I could move into that area. Will they do well together and what other planting options do I have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moss and compatable plantings

I try to keep my little mossy nook free of other plants- but ajuga, hosta, astilbe and other shade lovers, not to mention weeds, keep moving closer to my little bit of moss.

Julie

o

I don't really think the moss will so much choke out the periwinkle, as the periwinkle will fade and the moss will fill in. Moss is not real aggressive and most other plants seem to grow in it quite well.

o
RE: Moss and compatable plantings 2

On the other side of the coin, I've noticed certain weeds tend to get rid of the moss. These are mostly weeds that are dense and low to the ground. I intend to get rid of them this year.

I'm trying to decide if I need to get rid of the clover in my yard. It seems to get along with the moss fairly well. Anyone have any pointers.

P.S. Clearly, moss and ferns are a great match. You might also try Lenten (sp?) rose which likes shade.

o

Hardy Chinese orchids
Japanese columbine
Wood hyacinths
Hostas used sparingly
all look wonderful

I have moss growing into the edges of periwinkle. Where the leaf blower is used to clear leaf litter there is more moss. Otherwise it's mostly periwinkle.

Regards.....jjane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here