Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cyathea medularis (Black Tree Fern)

Posted by fernyboy (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 13:14

I bought this in a February sale for 40 (it has a 4 foot trunk, with six fronds from last year about 4 feet long each, new fronds just uncurling). I have kept this in my garage upto now.

I want to plant this out in my garden, would it be best to keep this in a pot and submerge this OR take it out of it's pot and plant this in the ground in suitable soil.

I intend to dig up again at the end of Autumn and place back into my garage.

Any suggestions as it is a really beutiful specimen at the moment.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cyathea medularis (Black Tree Fern)

im sorry to say it wont like being dug up every winter and submerging the pot will give you all sorts of problems with roots creeping out of the pot. it may be possible depending on your location to leave it in the ground if it is sited and protected well which can be a real polaver. if you leave it in a pot it waill want a lot of repotting and a huge pot eventually because compaired to a Dicksonia it is monsterously fast growing. great plants

Here is a link that might be useful: cold hardy treeferns

o
RE: Cyathea medularis (Black Tree Fern)

Many thanks for your response. Thats a shame, looks like I will have to just keep getting a bigger pot!

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here