Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fern Attack

Posted by johnnc7b z8aNC (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 30, 06 at 13:26

Help, my Cold Hardy Ferns are under attack by something attaching little brown dots to the underside of the leaves. Leaves begin to curl up and become darker in color. See photo.

John

img src=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fern Attack

Those are the sporangia which contain the spores; this is how ferns reproduce.

No attack at all, just mother nature at work.

o

Wow, how stupid am I?? Thanks, I didn't know the little fellows "laid eggs"!

John

o

lol... if you have the fern in a humid environment, the spores will 'release' (the capsules get darker and harder, then they 'burst' open spewing the spores all over) and many months later become ferns. It is a very interesting process. For many months (some shorter some longer) you won't see anything - then look for what appears to be algae slime (a green glow to the substrate) this is not the fern yet. The male spermliteraly moves to fertilize the female egg, then the real fern starts to grow... (sorry I have books but too lazy to go get them) The 'fuzz' will turn into little ferns and then hundreds if not thousands.... keep everything humid. Best Sherry

o

In NC, I don't think you have to go out of your way to provide the humidity, even!

Ferns are fun. The algae-ish phase of the fern life cycle is called the gametophyte. It's analogous to pollen or ovules in flowering plants, but in ferns the stage last a lot longer & does its own photosynthesis, etc. & if you're ever sitting around with fern gametophytes and nothing to do, you can actually watch the fern sperm swimming around if you get a slide set up right.

Patrick Alexander

o

Wow! Thanks Sherry and Patrick. I now know more about ferns than I realized was needed. I just wanted some pretty green things in and amongst my Hostas!! If all you both say comes true, I may be in the fern retail business.

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here