Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
for houseplants (ferns), do people ever place under glass domes?

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 07 at 17:00

I LOVE ferns and would love to be able to have more in my apartment (which btw is not one of those high-heat apts. If anything it's the opposite.) Anyway, they don't necessarily do very well in my apt. In particular, I'd love to be able to grow Adiatum Pendatum/Maidenhair in my apt.

It occurred to me.... would I have better luck if I covered them with glass domes? Where could one buy such things? I googled but couldn't find. Or are there other ways to trap moisture around the plant? I know some folks grow ferns in a terrarium/fish tank, but I don't have enough table/counter space for a whole fish tank nor do I like the hard-edged look of a fishtank.

Tx all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: for houseplants (ferns), do people ever place under glass dom

You need to search for a bell jar or glass cloche. You can also find glass domes in speciality stores, for the purpose displaying an antique clock or whatever.

You might want to consider a large glass 'cookie jar', too. I have one that is perfect for a terrarium. I saw rows of them not too long ago at either K or Wal mart. Large, solid glass, no tacky decorations.

o

Lee Valley has a "Wardian Case" that is an 11" by 19" glass house for plants. I have a half dozen 3" potted house plants in mine, it keeps the humidity up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wardian Case

o

heya. i know what you mean about spaces and apartments. i got myself a really small cookie jar from ikea and made myself a small terrarium. its been almost a week, i havent watered or mist it and theres actually new leaf on my fern!! i guess that means they're happy.. :)

click the link and photos for more. hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: this is how it looks like..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here