Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting irish moss lost cause?

Posted by stolives (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 08 at 17:12

We recently put a stone walk from our driveway to backdoor. The base we put the stone on is crushed limestone. I am now wanting to plant irish moss between the stones and don't know how big of a problem the crushed limestone is going to present. Can I dig the limestone out an inch or two deep between the stones, refill with soil and then plant the moss or is this just a lost cause?
Also, does anyone know how I could have avoided this dilemma with some other base material? thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting irish moss lost cause?

Irish moss is not a moss. It is a vascular plant. Scotch moss is also a vascular plant. If you read to the very fine print the plant tag probably acknowledges this detail.

However, there are certain types of bryophytes (mosses) that prefer a limestone substrate that would work in the cracks between your stones... and Bryum argenteum is a great solution on gravel, asphalt or concrete surfaces... common name is even "sidewalk moss."

o

Ok, so I have to admit I feel a little stupid. For years I have been intrigued and have admired the beauty of different mosses but obviously know nothing about them. It is now my mission to learn more about them, thank you for that inspiration. Thank you also for the recommendation.

o

Irish and Scotch moss are among other tricksters like Spanish moss (pineapple family), club moss (lichopodium), reindeer moss (lichen). And, unfortunately, there is no true ID guide to bryophytes (mosses). In an effort to promote the awareness and appreciation of mosses, I have a web site you might wish to visit... mountainmoss.org. I have lots of new photos to create a new section... planning an ID gallery to enhance the current info. Hope to upload them in a few days. I am not a botanist or bryologist, just a serious moss lover. I continue to research and network to learn more myself... happy to share!

o

Thanks so much. I will definitely check it out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here