Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Fern Question...

Posted by arabianqueen69 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 17:13

I bought 2 small pots of autumn ferns from lowe's last year and planted them in the ground in a partly shady area. The leaves stayed greenish throughout the winter then started to die off more late winter early spring, and i trimmed them off. So far i've not seen any new growth, i don't know if i'm bein impatient or if i did something wrong. I had put some Osmocote on them last year and some Miracle grow acidic power mixed in water after i read online they like acidic soil. Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Fern Question...

Mine just began to unfurl about a week ago...and I'm in Charlotte, NC...give 'em a little more time.

o

FYI, ferns generally don't need fertilizer and it may burn them.

Mine haven't even started to unfurl yet.

o

Generally Autumn Ferns are evergreen and don't die back during the Winter, unless you up North. My fernkept all of it's leaves and began new fiddleheads last Month. I use Fish Emulsion, which is organic and not strong enough to burn the fern. This is it's second season and it is at least 3 feet tall and quite bushy. I am very impressed with it, and plan to get some more of these.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here