Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol8297_gw

How do I draw the line between moss - lawn?

carol8297
19 years ago

The south side of my property is treed and part lawn/part moss.

The part adjacent to the house is strictly moss and I love it.

I am, however, indecisive about what to do in the back yard. I noticed some areas of the backyard lawn need to be reseeded. I was trying to decide how much to reseed when I saw how much of the south side backyard (the treed part) is moss or dirt with hardly any lawn. I am currently trying to figure out where to draw the line-- to make one side of the backyard moss and the other side all grass.

The moss is beautiful, but I'm afraid to relegate too much of the back yard to a moss garden because I might be biting off more than I can chew. Lately, I've been spending way too much time on the side of the house in my moss garden where I am obsessed with cleaning up the twig litter and pulling the lawn and weeds out of the moss. I'm afraid to commit to extending the moss garden to the back yard. I fear that as the season progresses, what looks like mostly moss and dirt now, will sprout a lot of lawn. That's what seems to have happened in past years. Possibly this happened because I put down lawn fertilizer, which I now know kills moss. If I don't put down lawn fertilizer, do you think I am still going to see a lot more lawn as the season progresses?

I am trying to decide where to draw the line so that I can know where to apply lawn fertilizer and reseed and where I should stop trying to grow lawn and shoot for a moss garden.

I worry about dealing with the moss side while it is in transition. I have heard that roundup kills lawn and weeds but not moss. Is that so?

How about crabgrass preventer (although it's a little late for this year)? Will crabgrass preventer prevent moss from growing?

Can I mow the grass and weeds growing within the moss to keep things under control until the moss is better established?

Before I get myself into too much trouble, I would appreciate any information that will help me decide where to draw the line and how to cope while the moss garden is getting better established.

Comments (2)

Sponsored