Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I got the Fern Bug!

Posted by Andrea_San_Diego z10 So Cal (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 05 at 0:16

Hi All,

I've been reading your posts and have caught the "Fern Bug". Today I bought a tassel fern, mother fern, leatherleaf and a giant chain fern to start my fern garden but alas, I don't know a darn thing about ferns. I do know that they like shade and moist conditions but other than that I'm clueless. I'd like to plant them directly in the ground in my backyard and would appreciate any hints or suggestions to keep me from killing them. I should mention that I live in Southern California about 9 miles from the coast in zone 10.

Are there any good fern vendors in Southern California?

Thanks,

Andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I got the Fern Bug!

Don't know anything about ferns? Damp, sheltered, semi-shaded...that's about all you need to know to get started. All the rest is just a more detailed exposition of precisely that!

Check out some fern websites, some fern books, and some fern nursery catalogues. Fifty per cent of what you need to learn will take one short sitting - the rest a lifetime.

Steve - Brighton, UK

o
RE: I got the Fern Bug!

Oh yes, do a Google search for these two: the Fern Factory and Fancy Fronds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here